Tribute to a noble spirit; Seun Olowole takes an untimely bow!


These were his last words to me, “Congrats bro. I'm so happy for you. I'm still in SA. I'll surely visit you guys when I'm in Lagos. May God continue blessing you.” I had absolutely no idea I was never going to hear from him again. I was distraught when I saw his picture on Emeka Mgbachi’s profile, saying rest in peace at about 9:40 p.m. on Monday 26th of August, 2013.
Seun Olowole was closer to me than a relative, especially in our younger years. We practically grew together, both living in Festac Town, Lagos. He lived in 112 Road, I in 111 Road both in 1st Avenue.  My primary school was close to his paternal grandparent’s home where he was raised. He had a striking resemblance to his grandfather, who is also now of blessed memory.
His grandmother did her best to raise him to become a responsible young man. She did for him what 3 sets of parents would probably not have been able to do for him; teaching him values and instilling discipline. She had (and still has) a fondness for my father and took him as a younger brother as they both hail from the same native town. My heart really goes out to her at this time. From time immemorial, I had known Seun and regarded him not just as a distant relative, but as a dear Brother.
We attended the same secondary school and university; Federal Government College, Odogbolu in Ogun State and University Of Lagos respectively. He studied Physics in the University of Lagos, while I studied architecture. I recall very clearly his departure to secondary school for the first time. His grandmother stopped by at our house. He looked so young, innocent and a bit uncertain, he sat in the front seat of the vehicle.  I joined him in the same school some weeks later; we were in the same class but different arms. Seun, Tolu Olowole (our other cousin) and I had a close bond. We often went to and returned from school together since our parents were close to each other and we lived in close proximity. I recall one day in boarding school when I eating was a big lump of eba with very little stew left(boarding school life in those days were characterised by such suffering!), the stew then finished, but I kept eating. Seun and I were having a conversation while I ate, he saw what I was doing and calmly took the plate and poured my eba away! The conversation then continued as though nothing had happened. That's the kind of person he was; cool, gentle but assertive at the same time.
 I owe a fundamental aspect of my Christian faith indirectly to him because Tunde Adeyemi; his senior friend and school father at that time was the one who mentored me, ensuring that I attended church fellowships and daily devotions consistently in secondary school. Seun was bubbly, full of life and ever smiling. He hardly ever got angry. I recall that while he was studying Telecommunications in the University of Cape Town, he advised me to consider doing yet another Masters degree (in Landscape Architecture) in the same institution. He was probably still in South Africa when he met his untimely death.
I am sure Seun had no idea he was going to leave us so soon, not even 5 minutes before the accident that occurred on Saturday, 24th of August, 2013! When I got the news, I quickly got in touch with Tolu and pleaded with him to tell me it wasn’t true. Sadly, he responded that he wished someone would tell him the same. After a day of struggling with my emotions, I wept sore last night when I looked at his pictures, recounting his infectious smile. He promised to come see me as soon as he arrives Lagos, but he couldn’t and he would’t. This tells us that nothing is sure in life; you need to live like you’re leaving tomorrow. We define purpose and make good use of life when we set goals and aspirations. However we must be reminded that death can come calling at any time, irrespective of age or level of attainment of our life’s goals. The best way in my opinion, to live without the fear of death and make lasting impact is to live for others, solve problems, show love to all and most importantly have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. I’m not talking about religious bigotry or fanatism here, but the need to live correctly, especially for the sake of the afterlife.
Friend, I appeal to you to forsake the life of sin and accept Jesus into your heart. Ask him now to forgive your sins, save you, write your name in the book of life. Thereafter, seek to know him better in a bible-believing church and make a commitment to walk with him till death comes knocking (whenever that will be). The sad truth is that one of us will go next; we do not know who it will be or when it will happen, but we can live prepared and do our best. Judgment and eternity are certain, whether we like and believe it or not. Seun wasn’t perfect, just as we are not, but he was good, he did his best and has now moved on.
I recall Seun’s last words to me were prayers, it is sad I didn’t even say amen at that time or chat with him further. Well, I say a resounding amen to that prayer now. Seun, you will be greatly missed by me; you live on in my heart. Adieu, my brother and friend!

Comments

Anonymous said…
It is well.My heart goes out to the family and to you as well.inasmuch as death is inevitable, it is however extremely sad when it occurs when life ought to be lived the most..IT IS WELL..RIP SOLA..
THE PREACHER..
seyi fayemi said…
Hmmm all is well.seyi fayemi
bunmi coker said…
lovely and inspiring write-up Tosin,so many words here touched and blessed me.although i was never close to Seun and i'm sure i never spoke one word to him,but i remember he really had this catching smile and i remember his Afro look in senior yrs...May his soul rest in peace.its well bro.
Unknown said…
MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE. AND MAY THE LORD GRANT US ALL THE POWER TO LIVE RIGHT AND THE GRACE TO GET TO HEAVEN
Unknown said…
Am still in shock and still dont want to believe its true but sadly it is. The last time i spoke to seun was in Dec when he came around to d UK. We spoke for hours that night and it felt like we were back in FEGo,seun was my first bf he was very shy n always made me laugh with his one liner he didnt say much back then but when he did he was memorable. He was a gud person and always smiling. With heavy heart i write this i know ur in a better place and you will always be in our hearts. RIP Seun
Asiru Adebola said…
may his soul rest in the bosom of the lord
Unknown said…
I recal dis key words...'The best way in my opinion to live is 2 live without the fear of Death nd make lasting impact to d live of others'...we just nid 2 begin 2 c live 4rm an eternal perspective. Death is no respecter of any person, so we should rather dare death nd NOT die or fear death nd continually strive 4 a myopic world values(popularity, power,pleasure, prestige nd d likes) dat can mar an eternal reign with our maker. Don't kno Seun bt d testimony speaks.what wil b d summary of our own life?...d truth b told, if u ain't ready 2 die, den u ain't ready 2 live. Let's make certain our eternal destiny by devoting our life 2 what really counts...without d fear of death!...Adieu Seun.

Popular Posts